Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Yard work

I got out on Tuesday morning and finished cutting the grass. It was a little wet, but not too much. In places it had grown to nearly a foot high. Now it's all neat and trim again, at least until the end of the week when it may need cutting again. Once the weather dries out (if it does), the cutting frequency will fall to something more reasonable.

I'll start moving those logs (the old apple tree) to the wood pile soon.

Today's photo is the big forsythia out in the south 40. I trimmed it so that I could get under it with the mower. I suppose I could just let it grow all the way to the ground and then just cut around it. But I kind of like the "fountain" look of the shrub. I didn't trim the top -- that's ladder work. Here's what the forsythia looked like in mid-March.

6 comments:

  1. A heavy trim never hurts a forsythia and it gives you a lot more space in the south 40. I've heard of stacked stone fences, but this is my first stacked wood one. Very picturesque. Mowing foot-long grass is not easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the fountain shape too. What are the pink flowers on the left side of the picture? They almost look like roses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the forsythia cut like that !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the fountain look, too. I remember, as a kid, not knowing anything about blooming schedules of plants, that noticing the forsythia coming into bloom always meant springtime weather and more time outdoors. It's kind of a comfort plant :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mention of zucchini bread reminded me -- this was posted by a foodie friend, and it has a gazillion different kinds of bread recipes to try. Not all of them appeal, but a lot do. https://www.sbs.com.au/food/blog/2020/04/23/flat-out-making-flatbreads

    ReplyDelete
  6. mitch, I moved two wheelbarrow-loads of those logs to the woodpile on Wednesday. Still a lot to go, but it's a start.

    bettyann, they are indeed roses!

    evelyn, me too.

    judy, I agree. It's a nice burst of vibrant color early in the spring.

    emm, thanks! I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!