Friday, April 10, 2020

Nice days

What a week! It's t-shirt weather and we're loving it. Work outside continues (there's always something to do outdoors) and yesterday I got most of the deck power-washed. There were a lot of flower pots and other odds and ends to move and I didn't get it all done. I'll finish it this morning.

A flowering tree out in the woods adjacent to a vineyard parcel.

And I got the grill going for the first time this season. I grilled burgers for lunch and they were delicious. They were the last burgers we had in the freezer. Ken put together a new supermarket order for next week that includes some meat. It will be interesting to see what we get.

Speaking of hamburgers, it's worth noting that ground beef is not something that you can buy here like you can in the states. Butchers grind beef to order, of course, but only beef. They won't grind veal, pork, chicken, or turkey to order; mixing meats in the beef grinder is a no-no. Industrial manufacturers offer packaged pre-made hamburgers, but I don't want those. You can find seasoned ground pork, called farce (stuffing), in some markets and charcuteries. So, for burgers, we buy the cuts of meat we want and grind them at home, then form patties and freeze them for future meals.

8 comments:

  1. You grind the meat at home... You guys never cease to amaze me. Sunshine here today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. High 62* here, burrr! DD got us some hamburger yesterday, we were missing our grilled cheeseburgers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mitchell, my thoughts exactly!

    Sunny and 80F/26C here now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We hit 90°F two days ago, but it was close to freezing overnight LOL.
    I bet those home-ground-meat burgers are great, especially grilled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is interesting how two countries are different. I had no idea one couldn't buy ground meat in France.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a pretty picture. Looks like an old apple tree, or crab apple.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mitch, that sounds a bit weird put that way...

    evelyn, yay!

    bettyann, nice! How's the humidity?

    judy, extremes!

    michael, most of the ground meat here comes in the form of sausages. But, like I said, you can get ground beef from the butcher; they grind it to order so you see which cut you're getting.

    emm, I wonder...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt the Fourth:
      And I didn't even mean it weirdly. Sometimes I embarrass myself.

      Delete

Tell me what you think!