Wednesday, April 01, 2020

Vineyard view [3]

We set up our next drive order from the supermarket. Two, actually, one from each of our local stores. For certain products, one store says they're available while the other store may be out of stock. Grocery pickup is done by appointment. The first time slots available are not until the weekend. I'm glad we didn't wait too long. And still, some of the items may be out of stock by the time the store fills the order. So far, the web sites say the pet foods we asked for are available.

These "sarments" (vine canes) have been "pliées," bent to horizontal and attached to support wires.

Like some of you have mentioned, we wipe down the groceries we plan to use right away, and wash our hands afterwards, but not before we stash other products down in the utility room or pantry. And now, in this third week of confinement, the supermarket and pharmacy are the only places I've been outside the house, interacting with only one person in each place. Ken hasn't left the house yet, except to walk the dog of course.

6 comments:

  1. I wish this virus was an April fool! We are washing our hands a lot and also groceries. I remember when we didn't even wash apples- we just rubbed them on our shirts I think. Good luck with your orders. We can't seem to find cheddar cheese here or Pepperidge Farm thin sliced bread. All in all we are fortunate to have plenty of food at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lucky -- around us there are no delivery or drive dates available. I spent over an hour on one site building a list for next week's groceries, thinking ahead to dates next week. Then that site turned out not to be the store's site, but a comparison site and there was a glitch transferring me to the store, so I had create yet another account and recreate the whole list in the store's site. When I finally got done (and not everything was available), there were no dates available. At least I was able to save the list and I will try later. Apparently, they open up dates for future delivery and pick-up late in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find the longer our lockdown goes on, the more I prefer to simply stay home. I wonder how this will change our behaviors after we receive the all-clear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad for you two, that you have beautiful surroundings (that are not too close to other people), a place to walk, a couple of pets to love and soothe you, each other, and the ability to cook such beautiful and delicious meals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your confinement is much the same as ours in the Welsh Marches. Supermarkets no longer deliver everything you order but usually come up with an acceptable alternative. Except for wine: they put a bottle of sweet Blossom Hill Zinfandel in my order instead of the crisp French Loire one I asked for - your vineyard pictures reminded me of the sacrilege.

    ReplyDelete
  6. evelyn, good! I remember rubbing apples on my shirt, too.

    ellen, it's been bumpy for us, too. First the learning curve, and then the tech problems because everybody and his frère are trying to use the sites at the same time. We have a much smaller population than you, but only a handful of local stores.

    mitch, it will be interesting!

    judy, we are fortunate.

    friko, oh, that wouldn't be tolerated here! I'm not even sure our stores would have a zin in stock in normal times, let alone now! Still, there are substitutions so we just have to learn to roll with the punches. :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!