Saturday, April 25, 2020

Oregano

Over the past few days, I've been working on the oregano patch. I mentioned in a previous post that I had planted oregano in the vegetable garden one year. It's a perennial that likes to roam and it started colonizing the adjacent lawn. I decided to just let it grow where it wanted to and now I have a sizeable oregano patch that comes back every year.

The oregano patch out by the vegetable garden.

I also discovered that this oregano (and I have no idea what particular variety it is) has little flavor when used fresh, but when it's dried it's wonderful. So I started using our dehydrating machine to dry it out. We've used the machine to dry other things, most notably tomatoes, making our own version of sun-dried tomatoes. I cut the oregano, wash it and remove anything that's not oregano, then layer it into the dehydrator's trays. It takes a few hours to dry.

The dehydrating machine.

Once it's dry, I have to remove the leaves from the stems. This is busy work and takes a little while, but I can do it while watching television. Once the leaves are stemless, they're ready to go into jars. If I process enough oregano to fill four or five jars, there's enough for at least a year, almost two. We use it all the time, on pizza, in tomato sauce, and in soups and stews, among other things.

One batch of oregano, de-stemmed. Somehow it reminds me of something...

I don't harvest all the oregano in the patch, so what gets left behind produces pretty purple flowers that look nice out next to the vegetable garden. I have some sage plants in another location and it only just occurred to me to try drying sage the same way. I plan to do that later this summer.

I'll top off these jars with the next batch.


10 comments:

  1. Try using the flowers, fresh or dried.... they have even more flavour than oregano/marjoram leaf, And you are right about sage... but it only keeps about a year before it's only good for the compost. Mint dries well, too.... and is a good way of overwintering the flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could almost smell it !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, the smell and flavor of good oregano!

    ReplyDelete
  4. puff puff pass ;-b

    regano (we philadelphians drop the first o) makes italian food italian!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bees like oregano flowers too.
    Last year, the peppermint broke out of its garden patch, and has now spread like your oregano, including into the neighbor's yard (she says she doesn't mind).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything you two eat is so fresh and home produced... wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so naive...and so my first thought was kale. Heeheehee. But then I got it!

    Have you ever tried chocolate oregano? I had a few starts that I grew in Wisconsin. It really spread quickly. I do prefer the regular, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oregano, yeah, a likely story.
    I planted some lemon balm one year, overlooking that it is a mint and has wanderlust. Years later, I'm still pulling it up out of unlikely spots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. tim, thanks! I'm looking forward to trying the sage.

    potty, :)

    mitch, it's very fragrant when dried. More so than store-bought, imho.

    anne marie, hehe! THAT's Italian!

    chris, yes, I notice the bees buzzing around the flowers. Our mint patch was contained in the real fake well, but it's been dying back recently. I guess when it has nowhere to go, it gives up.

    judy, well, not everything... ;)

    mary, I've never heard of chocolate oregano. I'll have to look it up!

    emm, the oregano continues to spread, but I mow a lot of it down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I am mad-jealous! So much lovely oregano!
    When I grew it it grew like a weed; I never ran out.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!