Thursday, April 09, 2020

Seedy

I got the vegetable seeds sown on Wednesday. I had just enough seedling soil left over from last year to plant them, but I'll need some more soon for the transplanting, assuming the seeds come up. Many of them are older seeds, so I planted a lot in each pot hoping that at least some of them will sprout. They should. They're not that old.

All planted and ready to grow. Transplanting outdoors won't happen until at least mid May.
Basil on the left, tomatoes and hot peppers in the middle, and zukes and pumpkins on the right.

I planted eight varieties of tomato, two varieties of hot pepper, two varieties of pumpkin, some zucchini, and a bunch of basil (I had three packs of basil seeds ranging from about eight years old to new, so I planted some of each). Once they sprout (fingers crossed), I'll thin all the seedlings down and save about three of each tomato, two zukes, and one pumpkin each. I'll transplant as much basil as I can into bigger pots for the deck and put some out in the garden plot.

And, speaking of the deck, my plan for today or tomorrow is to power wash it and set it up for summer, including opening the barbecue grill for business. I think we're planning to grill hamburgers for today's lunch. The weather is predicted to be very pleasant.

8 comments:

  1. Exciting. Your greenhouse looks like such a charming place to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s the time of year to be industrious and you certainly are! You’ve had your hamburger by now, I bet it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spring is the most exciting time of year! I love seeing all the pots in your greenhouse, so full of promise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If there's anyone who will really use a greenhouse to its best advantage, it's you two. It will be fun watching the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, at least you had seeds to plant! News last night was that "essential items" only can now be sold. And who would guess that seeds do not count as essential items. Who in this world would do that? I spoke out of turn. But, that new information was put out because smaller businesses were determined Wal-mart, Costco and Amazon were not going to get away with commandeering every customer! Let's hope this virus ends quickly and life can try to get back to normal!
    Yes, Mitch is right! What a nice place to start seedlings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and I finally got back to my friends who have been using the delivery service at our local KROGER store. They have not had ANY substitutions the last order they did!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mitch, and cozy.

    bettyann, yes!

    thickethouse, I hope most of them are kept. ;)

    judy, oh, I don't know about that...

    mary, the garden stores are open here. Gardening, i.e. growing food, is an essential part of French life. Especially out here in the countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was a gardener (oh how I miss it!) this was one of the most exciting times: watching seedlings sprout.
    Good luck with yours. I want to see all the updates.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!