Thursday, August 24, 2023

Pardon me, would you have any Montpoupon?

Americans of a certain age might remember the ad campaign for a brand of Dijon-style mustard called "Grey Poupon." I read on Wikipedia that the mustard brand originated in France. American rights to market it were purchased in the late 1940s and shortly after, France-based production was phased out. It wasn't until the 1970s and 1980s that the successful ad campaign associating the brand with luxury increased the product's popularity in the US.

Le château de Montpoupon. July 2013.

So what does Dijon mustard have to do with this castle in the Cher Valley? Nothing. Except that its name, Montpoupon, reminds me of the series of television commercials for Grey Poupon.

A memory just came back to me: Ken and I were driving in San Francisco one evening. It was prom night somewhere; kids dressed up in tuxes and gowns were riding around in limos. At a light, the limo next to us had it's sun roof open, and one of the guys was standing with his head and shoulders outside the car. He looked at us and shouted, "Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon?" Laughter all around.

7 comments:

  1. Grey Poupon was the best brand of mustard in France, long before Maille entered the market. I remember seeing typical Grey Poupon jars at my grandparent’s in the late twenties, and thirties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for insider info about Grey Poupon, CHM. I never knew it was French. Love the memory, Walt.
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great memory from San Francisco that you shared. I remember those commercials well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite clever of that young man to elicit a comment like that since he probably doesn't ride around in a limo that frequently! Interesting you had that memory for today, yesterday as I was spreading Maille mustard on my ham sandwich I was thinking..."maybe I will just buy the generic Dijon mustard next time...this doesn't seem to have that unique of a taste".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to paint the chateau in a mustard color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. chm, we tend to like the store brands or Amora, they're hotter than Maille. J'aime quand la moutarde me monte au nez. ;)

    judy, :)

    evelyn, :)

    michael, it was pretty funny at the time.

    mary, I'd say give it a try. Maille is good, but I like more of a kick.

    mitch, proceed. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!